Notes about theft protection/diagnosis according to GVO in the European Union
Online services for the Offboard Diagnostic Information System software - GeKo and SVM
In order to obtain a "GeKo" authorisation, specific information about the applicant as well as the operation is required. You must provide the following information to SEAT/CUPRA or the importer responsible:
- GeKo form (request to activate a user right)
- An official identification document (original) must be presented by the managing director and the applicant to verify their identity. The identity document is not retained at any time. On request from the affected party, the option can be offered of voluntarily enclosing a copy of a photo identification document on a separate page (front and back). The importer checks the data using the copy, and then destroys the copy immediately afterwards in compliance with data protection law. In the case of identification documentation with access data (e.g. new German ID card), the access number must be blacked out beforehand.
- Confirmation of employment (form)
- Extract from the commercial registry or business registration (copy)
- Police clearance certificate or similar document (applicant)
General information on anti-theft protection:
You require online access to the appropriate systems of Volkswagen AG (GeKo / SVM) for repair of specially protected vehicle components and flashing of control units. Currently, in order to be able to use GeKo, you must request the respective authorization (see below) and 2-factor authentication.
The European Union (EU) regulates access to safety-related systems of vehicle manufacturers for its member states so that the information required for repair can be accessed online. Independent market participants from EU member states can request access in accordance with the currently valid legislation.
With GeKo and SVM you can access the central server of Volkswagen AG using an online connection and your ODIS software, and thus significantly expand the scope of performance of your diagnostic equipment.
What is GeKo?
GeKo (security and component protection) is a function which is available to users with the online connection of the ODIS diagnostics software and allows teaching of engine immobiliser components (e.g. instrument clusters, engine control unit), keys and component protection (e.g. air conditioner, navigation, etc.) to the vehicle.
What is SVM?
SVM (Software Version Management) is another feature which is provided by online connection of the Offboard Diagnostic Information System diagnostic software. This enables process-safe control unit programming, as well as correct control unit installation. The feature also provides support for coding control units.
How can you use the GeKo / SVM features?
- You must have installed the ODIS diagnostics software. For further information, please refer to the erWin Product Assistant
- Certain IT requirements must be fulfilled for the online connection. You will also need a special user ID. For further information, please refer to the erWin Infotour
- All other companies and customers from EU member states and countries outside of the EU will receive more detailed information from their respective importers (see list of importers).